Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:56:54 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: E-day problems: rtld-elf dlsym() broken?

On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 06:54:29PM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> > Any others?  Any comments?
>
> Deal with lines >80 characters. Most seem to do this, but since we're
> drawing up a list... it'd be sad to find one that didn't. The real
> problem, of course, comes with the editor and quoting.
>
> I'm having difficulty talking people into keeping their lines short.
> Everything else I get heavy about can be found in some RFC. For line
> lengths, the RFC sets a maximum of 1000 characters. If they argue that
> problems with lines more than 80 characters are the recipient's
> software's fault, who's to say they're wrong? So bung it on the list.

Some references that say they're wrong.

 <URL:http://128.2.232.225/~julie/netiquette.html>;

   Line Width
    You will find that many mailers will allow you to type in more than eighty
    characters per line. However, this can create a real mess, because on the
    internet, everything is automatically wrapped to 80 lines or fewer. Thus,
    you get broken lines which are really hard to follow. For example, look at
    the following:

         It's often occurred to me that many people don't seem
         to under-
         stand the clear distinction between correlational
         variance and
         causal relationships.

    Now try imagining reading whole pages like that. If you don't set your
    mailers to under 80 charaters per line, this is how people will read your
    outgoing mail, and most of them will just delete it rather than bother. The
    internet is a great forum for communication, but we have to do what we
    can to communicate well on it otherwise things get ugly quite fast.

  <URL:http://www.fau.edu/rinaldi/net/elec.html>;

    * Limit line length to aproximately 65-70 characters and avoid
      control characters.

  <URL:http://www.hart.bbk.ac.uk/~trish/maponline/MAP07.html>;

    DON'T send lines longer than 70 characters. This is a kindness to folks
    with terminal-based mail editors or newsreaders. Some mail gateways
    truncate extra characters turning your deathless prose into gibberish.

    Some mail editor tools only SEEM to insert line breaks for you, but
    actually don't, so that every paragraph is one immense line. Learn what
    your mail editor does.

  <URL:http://w3.arl.mil/home/netiquette/rfc18552.html>;

    - Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line with a
      carriage return.

  <URL:http://www.ses.com/~joe/Netiquette.html>;

    Be aware that other people's machines may not operate the same way as
    yours does. Keep the following precautions in mind:

      Except for program source code, keep your lines under 80 characters,
      and under 72 if possible. For example, a terminal with an autowrap
      feature makes output on a simple line editor appear as if a carriage
      return has been inserted at the 80th character; a new line seems to
      have started when it actually hasn't. Be sure your editor is really
      inserting carriage returns, or insert them manually when typing.

      Most special control characters do not work for most readers. In fact,
      the tab and space characters are about the only ones you can be sure
      work consistently, and tabs aren't always the same from machine to
      machine.

      Pictures and diagrams should not use embedded tabs.

      Submissions in all upper case or all lower case are difficult to read.

  <URL:http://www.landfield.com/faqs/usenet/primer/part1/>;

                  Limit Line Length and Avoid Control Characters.

    Try to keep your text in a generic format.  Many (if not most) of
    the people reading Usenet do so from 80 column terminals or from
    workstations with 80 column terminal windows.  Try to keep your
    lines of text to less than 80 characters for optimal readability.
    If people quote part of your article in a followup, short lines will
    probably show up better, too.

    Also realize that there are many, many different forms of terminals
    in use.  If you enter special control characters in your message, it
    may result in your message being unreadable on some terminal types;
    a character sequence that causes reverse video on your screen may
    result in a keyboard lock and graphics mode on someone else's
    terminal.  You should also try to avoid the use of tabs, too, since
    they may also be interpreted differently on terminals other than
    your own.

--
--+==[ Nik Clayton becomes Just Another Perl Contractor in 10 days. ]==+--
                      She's still dead. Deal with it.