Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:58:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup mirrors badly behind?

> > servers) I'm still at 4.4, despite having:
> >    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4

> Well, you snipped the rest of your config.  But the above
> "release=cvs" makes cvsup mirror the CVS *repo* to your disk.

Er, no, not quite.  That would happen if the `tag=...' were to be
missing, which it isn't.

Basically, you have two possibilities for `release= ...' one of
which is `cvs' in the case of a CVS repository, like the FreeBSD
source, or `current' in the case of, say, the contents of the web
site or the mail archives, where what you get is what's up-to-date
at the moment, and it isn't a CVS repository.

So the above line, with `release=cvs', is in fact correct.  If our
victim did in fact wish to mirror the CVS repository (RCS files,
ending like Makefile,v and such), then the `tag= ...' line should
be dropped entirely.  (Or, to mirror -current, it should be `tag=.')

barry bouwsma