Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 00:38:06 -0500
From:      "M. Maxwell" <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some questions about mail

On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 05:15:37AM +0100, John wrote:
> I am looking for a mail client that will allow me (once logged in as
> john), to go to (for instance, the freebsd-questions folder), compose a
> question (or an answer!) that has the From: field set to freebsd-root@i-
> zone.demon.co.uk (because it is under this name that I subscribe).
>
> Currently, in pine, I have a freebsd-root folder, but because I am
> logged in as john, the email comes out as from: freebsd-root <john@i-
> zone.demon.co.uk> which is suboptimal.
>
> Many mailing lists will not allow postings from other than the
> subscribed mailbox. Unfortunately, freebsd-root@ cannot be a login name
> as it has more than 8 chars. I hope that there is a way round this other
> than unsubscribing then subscribing again under a different name.
>
> Ideally the folder will be expireable like a newsgroup, and even more
> ideally it will have threading.

Might I suggest looking into the "Mutt" Email client?  It's in the ports
collection and has support for mailing lists and multiple folders.  I use
mutt and procmail to handle all my lists (I don't bother setting up
sendmail aliases).  In general, I run fetchmail to bring mail to my sendmail
which is filtered by procmail into the appropriate $HOME/Mail/..... folders
for each mailing list (and of course, one for spam :) )

Mutt is also threaded and has a nice 'L'ist reply command (using it right
now).

--
drwho @ xnet.com  --   http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
"Freedom of government is good, but freedom FROM government is better."