Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 1997 19:29:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Distributed 'patch' is achingly out of date

Just wondering if anybody has considered getting a newer version of
'patch' included in the source tree?  The version we have is 2.1.  Version
2.4 is available.  Are we running into GNU concerns?  Or has nobody
noticed?  I for one always have to upgrade, because patch 2.1 has
arbitrary limits (such as the length of a line cannot extend beyond 4096
chars).  Also, patch 2.4 is generally smarter and better--not to mention
it works with RCS and SCCS without problem..

-Brandon Gillespie