Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:35:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@siralan.org>
To:        Billy Newsom <smartweb@leadhill.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3 -> 5.4 breaks ATA (Intel ICH2)

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Billy Newsom wrote:

> Okay, Tim, I just reported the same bug in a previous post. So did Julian C.
> Dunn. I think this is an issue with some recent code changes in CVS...
>
> See these threads:
>
> critical BOOT failure updating to latest 5-Stable (5.4)
> 9/23/2005 12:07 AM
>
> ATA lockup with 5.4-STABLE
> 9/21/2005 10:19 PM

I have a similar problem (previously posted to this mailing list) with a
Toshiba 8100 which locks up when atapci0 is called during the boot using
recent kernels.

I can boot off an old 5.4-RELEASE kernel (May 2005) and can boot off the
more recent kernels if I copy the old version of acpi.ko over the new
version, which leads me to believe that it is changes in the ACPI code
which are the source of the problem.

I've posted to the ACPI mailing list (I'm not aware of any responses).

Mike Squires