Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:31:48 -0500
From:      Jon Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        Rob <stopspam@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject:   Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

On 07/06/04 23:12, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:17:35AM +0800, Xin LI wrote:
>>>
>>> It only mimics CVSup 'check out' mode. It doesn't know how to
>>> mirror the ,v files.
>>
>> I personally think this is enough for an average user who wants C
>> implementation in base system :-)
>
> Is it really too hard to do
>   1) pkgadd -r cvsup
>   2) or use sysinstall to install cvsup
>   3) or portinstall cvsup
>   4) or cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup && make install

I don't really care either way whether c(v)sup is in the base system.
The biggest win with csup is getting away from Modula-3.  I don't know
enough about Modula-3 to have an educated opinion on it, but I do know
it takes a long time to compile and consumes a lot of space on my hard
drive even when using ezm (the following are in bytes):

$ pkg_info -qs ezm3-1.1_2
23135765
$ pkg_info -qs cvsup-without-gui-16.1h
2392189

Considering cvsup is the only thing I have that uses Modula-3, going the
csup route would save me time and space.

Jon