Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 07:29:50 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "Ben O." <ben@cahostnet.com>, dyu <dyu@cdknet.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: defragment...

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> types:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 06:55:41PM -0500, Ben O. wrote:
> > Why is that Mike?
> Because FFS was designed by someone who actually knows how to write
> filesystems, so it doesn't need periodic maintenance like the
> brain-dead MSDOS filesystem.

In particular, there's a small percentage of the disk space that
normal users can't write to - but root can - that is used to optimize
disk block allocation. I thought this was discussed in the FAQ, but
can't seem to find it. As a disk gets really full, you'll also get
kernel messages about switching to (or from) space optimization
instead of time optimization, etc.

	<mike