Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:19:33 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: BSD direction/Damonnews article

From: j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Subject: BSD direction/Damonnews article
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:08:51 +0100

> I have been very nervous about both the BSDi merger and now the Wind River
> merger.  I do not have negative thoughts about the companies as much as i do

These things always make me really curious.  Either people are giving
companies far more credit for influence wielded or they're grossly
underestimating the resilience of open source projects.  Do you really
think that if SGI, for example, were to stop supporting Linux that the
Linux community as a whole would come to a screeching halt or indeed
even particularly notice beyond the inevitable throw-away slashdot
postings?  I don't think so.

The same goes for FreeBSD.  Yes, WindRiver does employ around 8 people
to do FreeBSD-related work and that's certainly a very useful
contribution.  If those people were to suddenly need to shift jobs for
whatever reason, however, then that would hardly mean the end of their
careers or contribution to FreeBSD.  They'd simply get jobs elsewhere,
preferably FreeBSD-related.  While you wouldn't perhaps see the same
level of contribution from those specific people for awhile, the slack
would get picked up.  There are well over 200 people in committers now
and if 5 or 10 go AWOL at any particular time, even when they're "key
people" on some particular sub-project, people tend to react to their
absence and seek to fill the hole.

FreeBSD has been going on for just about 10 years now and it's far
bigger than any one contributor, company or institution.  When people
or companies contribute to the project then it certainly _helps_ to a
great degree, that's nothing I'd even want to down-play, but it shows
a remarkable ability to heal itself and move on when those people or
companies move on to other things.

I'd save your nervousness for something more significant, like the
next global military conflict. We're currently overdue for one of
those. ;)

- Jordan