Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 21:22:30 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        jerry.hicks@glenayre.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony Playstations..

On 05-Jan-99 Jerry Hicks wrote:
> Mark Ovens wrote:
>>
>> Talking about UK supercomputers. Whatever happened to the Inmos
>> Transputer of the '80's?. I remember seeing one of these parallel
>> processing devices at an exhibition in the mid-80's. It was displaying
>> in real-time a Newton's Cradle, photo-realistically rendered. This at
>> the time when a 386 was the top of the range PC.
>>

> Last design I saw using Transputers was a Siemens SS7 protocol analyzer.
>
> FreeBSD just lost a driver for a Transputer board in the recent culling
> of "dead" software from the repo.
>
> Cheers,

Just before Christmas I managed to get SPOC, the Southampton Portable Occam
Compilier to run under FreeBSD.

SPOC is a Occam to C translator and it actually works. I managed to compile
a fair ammount of my old code. There are holes though.

It even does parallel execution of code right (PAR blocks), all in a single
process and without any form of thread library. It uses a select() loop.

Duncan

---