Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 22:35:42 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.org, www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Unified download stats [and better presentation of same]

> I see you have made 221/usr/src/release/sysinstall/ftp.c
> announce itself as 'installer' in the password/e-mail address field.)
> Would it be possible for cooperating hubs to announce themselves
> consistently in the password/e-mail field too?  That would certainly make
> it easier.

Yes, that would, though we can probably just as easily ID them by
hostname. :-)

My primary hope at this point is that we can at least combine logging
information and come up with a single consistent format for it.

Since I haven't out and out made a proposal on this format yet, here's
my shot at it:

Each cooperating hub site would scan its logs once every 24 hours and
spit out a single email message to freebsd-stats@freebsd.org containing
a record like this:

<ftp-summary>
<from>FTP mirror name</from>
<date>date information</date>
<releases>
 <item name="relname" count="count">
</releases>
</ftp-summary>

Where the number of entries in <releases>..</releases> is somewhat
variable depending on what's on the mirror sites.

					Jordan