Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:44:17 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FICL breakage...

> Anyway, all good to know. There are almost certainly more perl
> speakers than awk speakers these days, so it probably makes sense
> to do these things in perl rather than awk.

I think that's sort of in the grey area.  There are also many Hardened
Traditionalists(tm) like myself who don't know perl and have no
interest in learning it because everything they ever need to do can be
handled by sh, awk and sed and they spent many years gaining that
level of proficiency with them.  We could color our ls and replace sh
with bash too, but sometimes there's value in retaining the simpler
traditions as you also go forward with the newer tools. :-)

- Jordan