Date:      Fri, 23 May 1997 09:43:40 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Cheekeong Soo <airsoo@eecs.umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS support

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Cheekeong Soo wrote:

> I'm using freeBSD v 2.2.2 release and I'm having a big problem with NIS
> password support. Here's what I've done
>
> 1) Copy /etc/master.passwd file to /var/yp
> 2) Generate ypservers file in /var/yp
> 3) Make maps using the make -f Makefile.dist
> 4) Enable ypserv on the server by modifying the flag in rc.conf
> 5) Enable ypbind on the client by modifying the flag in rc.conf
> 6) Modify the client's /etc/passwd to include the entry +
> 7) Modify the client's /etc/master.passwd to include the entry +
> 8) Set the domainname of both the client and the server
>
> And it doesn't work! I wonder if anybody have experience in this can give
> me a hand. Thanks in advance.

What exactly do you mean by "it doesn't work"??? What happens on the
client? on the server? Are you getting any errors? You should probably
also enable client support on the server if yp is using master.passwd out
of /var/yp, otherwise the server won't see the yp passwords (for local
use, it will still serve them to other clients).

> CK

Nadav