Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:08:52 -0400
From:      Greg Larkin <glarkin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: multimedia/mythtv - install fails

Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> This is mythtv 0.21_2, installation fails:
>
> Added group "mythtv".
> Added user "mythtv".
> Starting mysql.
> *** Unable to start mysqld
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/multimedia/mythtv.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/multimedia/mythtv.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/multimedia/mythtv.
>
> And mysql is running:
> root@kg-quiet# ps ax | grep mysql
> 23260  p0  S      0:00.01 /bin/sh /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe
> --defaults-extra-file=/var/db/mysql/my.cnf --user=mysql
> 23281  p0  S      0:00.08 /usr/local/libexec/mysqld
> --defaults-extra-file=/var/db/mysql/my.cnf --basedir=/usr/local
>
> Running on:
> root@kg-quiet# uname -a
> FreeBSD kg-quiet.kg4.no 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #6: Sat May 30
> 16:13:13 CEST 2009     root@kg-quiet.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/QUIET
> amd64
>

> Wasn't this one fixed a while ago?

Hi Torfinn,

I looked back at the email history for this issue
(http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg20428.html),
and I may have dropped it on the floor because of the ports freeze right
around that time.

I think the pkg-install script is not waiting for the mysql process to
start before it checks its status again.  In the end, mysql does start
successfully, but pkg-install script has exited before it has a chance
to create the database.

Can you do me a favor and change line 1 of files/pkg-install.in from
"#!/bin/sh" to "#!/bin/sh -x" and reinstall mythtv?  Make sure that
mysql is not running before you do that and then send me the output of
the script.

I'll also try to reproduce the problem here and see if I get similar
results.

Thank you,
Greg
- --