Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 00:57:49 -0500
From:      Bryan Batten <BryanBatten@compuserve.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Questions for FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Detecting 3rd IDE Drive

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the response to my other BSD problem. On Mon, 15 Dec 1997 you
wrote:

> > Linux sees both controllers without problems. So I know the hardware
> > is OK
> > - with the exception that my BIOS can't autodetect the third EIDE
> > drive
> > which I have installed on wdc1. The drives I have on wdc0 are both
> > 1G. The
> > drive on wdc1 is a 2.1G drive.
>
> What type of controller is the new disk connected to?

Both controllers are on the motherboard. Wrt. the inability to autodetect,
regardless of which controller the 2.1G drive is connected to, the BIOS
fails to autodetect.

> Do you have the master/slave jumper set correctly?

Yes.

> Is the cable in good shape and plugged in?

Yes. The drive is being used under Linux with it connected to the second
controller, with file systems mounted on several logical partitions within
the extended partition on the drive. So Linux is necessarily handling all
three drives and both controllers correctly. From this, I conclude that I
do not have hardware problems - aside from the BIOS autodetect problem.

In addition, I've run PFDISK from DOS, and it finds the correct drives on
the c orrect controllers.