Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2001 21:28:33 -0400
From:      R <tlhingan@optonline.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   57% packet loss

hello all

ok, first things first: I'm new, but not dumb :) Now that thats out of the
way...

I'm running 3.2-STABLE.  I'm trying to configure my box to get on the net.
I have a cable modem - not from "@home" - and a nic (xl0) which conects to
it.

I've been trying to do a few things at the same time, which has gotten me
quite mixed up, since im learning from scratch each of the things im trying
:)

So, I'm gonna break my questions into the mailing list into VERY small
pieces - the first of which is:

What sort of things should i look for when trying to determine why I'm
getting a 57% packet loss pinging hub.freebsd.org?

I'm obviously getting online - so i guess my set-up isn't far off the mark -
but i seem to drop/loose every other packet. for example, packets 0 and 1
get lost, but #2 malkes it. then #3 gets lost and 4 makes it.

-R

Do not believe in what you have heard;
do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many
generations; do not believe anything because it is rumored and spoken of
by many; do not believe merely because the written statements of some old
sage are produced; do not believe in conjectures; do not believe in that
as a truth to which you have become attached by habit; do not believe merely
on the authority of your teachers and elders. After observation and
analysis,
when it agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of
one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

Gautama Buddha (Spoken 2,600 years ago)