Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 21:55:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@mindbender.serv.net>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), julian@current1.whistle.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Job openings: Unix Network Programmers, Internet server

[ Moved to -chat ]
> What might be almost as helpful is for people who know what they want,
> and why they want it, to file bug reports, requests, and such with
> Microsoft ("telnet sucks, please fix it", "give us a single-rooted
> filesystem", "give us a Real Shell", etc.).

While this sounds good in practive, when some representatives from the
'Research Community' (my boss was at this meeting) met with Microsoft to
ask them about their support for 'researchy' type things, the response
was essentially:

"The market is in business applications.  We aren't going to support you
since we don't have to.  You will be forced to use our product because
of market pressure, not technical reasons."

M$ was *not* interested in providing any sort of support (both in terms
of development tools and/or OS support) for things the research
community deems important.

And, recently the Digital folks admitted that if you 'need 24/day 365/yr
reliability' then NT is *NOT* the platform yet.  But, they're certainly
willing to sell you an OpenVMS box which will do the job until NT
becomes more stable.

[
FWIW - Digital Equipment is the #1 NT developer in the world.  M$ is
actually 3rd on the list.
]

It's pretty hard to take m$ seriously about *anything* anymore when they
lie and decieve the public on a regular basis.  (See the recent NT
server vs. workstation scandal).

I don't fault the people who work for them, but I do fault management
and the spin doctors for allowing the company to continue to reinforce
the believe of m$ as the 'Evil Empire'.

Heck, who needs to make up stories about bad things about m$ when they
are perfectly willing to shoot themselves in the foot.  And, what they
say is true.  'What comes around goes around.'  It's not a matter of "If"
m$ is going to get dumped on it's head, but a manner of "When".

Nate