Date:      Fri, 08 Feb 2002 11:06:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Duane H. Hesser" <dhh@androcles.com>
To:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
Subject:   Re: USB UHCI speed issue ?

On 07-Feb-02 Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 11:23:49AM +0000, Josef Karthauser wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 05:39:56PM -0800, Duane H. Hesser wrote:
>> >
>> > I can confirm the problem, and point you to a message in the "current"
>> > archives (Dec 15) which contains a simple 3 or 4 line patch to uhui.c.
>> > The message, authored by Andrew Gordon, may be found at
>> >
>> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=775757+780830+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-current/20011216.freebsd-c
>> > urren
>>
>> Hmm. :) Looking at the NetBSD code, they made a major commit to fix the
>> same issue:
>>
>>     uhci.c revision 1.123
>>     date: 2000/08/13 16:18:09;  author: augustss;  state: Exp;  lines: +136 -31
>>     Implement what in Intel-speech is known as "bandwidth reclamation".
>>     It means that we continously poll USB devices that have a pending transfer
>>     instead of polling just once every ms.  This speeds up some transfers
>>     at the expense of using more PCI bandwidth.
>>
>> I'm looking at what is necessary to port that change over.
>>
>> Joe
>
> I was wondering if this has been ported over and if so, how about a -stable
> version.
>
> --
> Regards, Ulf.

Josef Karthauser has reported that the NetBSD changes to address this problem
are much more complex than the patch above; he is working on importing them
to -current, but it may be a while before they reach -stable.

In the meantime, the Gordon patch is working well for me (although I have not
monitored increases in cpu time during transfers), with about a four-fold
increase in tranfer rate.  It's a simple change, and I plan to move it forward
to 4.5 when I upgrade.