Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:50:10 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Boris Karnaukh <bk532@iname.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cleanup after softupdate move

Mark Ovens wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 11:17:35PM +0300, Boris Karnaukh wrote:
> > John Polstra wrote:

> > > That's what the little button with the diskette symbol near the
> > > southeast corner is for.
> > >
> > But it doesn't let you choose log file name.
> >

> Why bother with the GUI?
>
>  # cvsup -g -L2 your_sup_file | tee [-a] log_file_of_your_choice

The gui provides more information and runs in comparable amounts of
time on my P-II & III's. There were times that the gui even appeared
to run faster. If you are on a really busy machine or older and slower
system, the gui may place a larger burden on the system.

If you want to see how much data was transfered, I found the gui
provided that and the command line version didn't. I have a shell
alias that will fire either off. I usually telnet to my server and
don't use the gui version at all then. I only walk down to the server
when it time to boot to single user mode and do the installworld
sequence.

If you are going to see 100's of changes, the scrollback buffer on the
gui will probably be penalized and your tee and log file will have the
advantage.

Kent

> > --
> > <Signed>
> > Boris Karnaukh        (mailto:bk532@iname.com)

> --
>   If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
>   am I entitled to my money back?

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com