Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 03:04:51 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@sneakerz.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mike Heffner <mheffner@vt.edu>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@freebsd.org, Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
Subject:   Re: BSD-specific sources (was: Importing lukemftpd)

* Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> [010718 02:54] wrote:

> Well, interestingly enough, Luke and I were talking about cooperation
> between the NetBSD and FreeBSD projects just over last weekend, and
> one of the things that we decided was that it would be desirable to
> add a new category of software to our source trees, software that is
> used by all BSDs (well, within our terms of reference, NetBSD and
> FreeBSD anyway).  We didn't specifically mention his ftpd: we were
> thinking more of things like USB support.  The idea would be that we
> might have a separate part of the source tree, like /usr/src//contrib,
> which is maintained either by a group of people, or (preferably) one
> person who ensures that it runs on all BSD platforms.  The latter
> might be difficult to implement, especially for kernel code, and even
> for userland code there would be challenges.  I've got a whole lot
> more to say on the matter, but I'm sure that people will find a number
> of weaknesses in my suggestions.  Feel free to pick holes in the idea.

Actually, I'd love to see this happen, not only with kernel, but
with ftpd, openssh, and a bunch of "no-brainers" we could standardize
on.  Not only would this help with feature sharing, but we could
eventually have our own meta _really_ free software system.

We could call it 'SNV' - SNV is Not Viral.  Look, it's recursive!

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Ok, who wrote this damn function called '??'?