Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 5:54:55 -0400
From:      Dan Welch <WELCHDW@wofford.edu>
To:        "TRUTH::WELCHDW"@wofford.edu
Cc:        HARDWARE@FREEBSD.ORG, WELCHDW@wofford.edu
Subject:   Re: isa bus and boca multiport boards

> I/O ports 0x278-0x27F are standard for an LPT (parallel) port.

Yes, that was my first thought, too, but the systems all have only
lpt0 (at 0x378) as far as I can tell.

> In addition, port 0x279 is used for Plug-N-Play setup.

Thanks for that address.  I didn't know it, so my approach was to
move the board to a system older than p-n-p motherboards and non-pci
for same reason: I don't know all addresses used by pci. The problem
persisted in altered form on the older system.

> And, IRQ 12 is used for PS/2 mouse ports built into motherboards.

I used the cmos setup to turn that off.  Is that reliable?
I was unsure, so I tested at a couple other free irq's just in case.
The "bad" ports do change with these alterations, supporting the
contention hypothesis, but also consistent with a bus timing
problem, I think.

Those tests all have the shortcoming of having been at irq>9 since
all irq<9 are busy. Guess I'll free an irq<9 and try the 0x100 range
again with that.