Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 12:38:34 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dirpref gives massive performance boost

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 07:44:36AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> Note that it _is_ possible to do this on your root partition without
> needing an additional boot disk, assuming your swap partition is
> bigger that your root partition.  The sequence is roughly (all in
> single-user before enabling swap starting with read-only root):
>
> fsck -p
> dd if=/dev/ad0s1a of=/dev/ad0s1b bs=64k
> mount /dev/ad0s1b /mnt
> mount -u /
> ed /mnt/etc/fstab :: comment out swap and change root to /dev/ad0s1b
> reboot
> :: at the boot0 twiddle press space to get the prompt and boot
> 0,ad(0,b)/boot/loader
> at the loader prompt, "boot -s"
>
> The system should now come up with root on ad0s1b.
>
> fsck -p
> :: arrange a writable /tmp, either "mount -u /" or "mount /tmp" if it's not
> :: swap-backed
> newfs /dev/ad0s1a
> mount /dev/ad0s1a /mnt
> cd /mnt
> dump 0f - / | restore rf -
> rm restoresymtable
> ed etc/fstab :: re-enable swap and change root back to /dev/ad0s1a
> cd /
> reboot
>
> The system should now come up normally with root back on ad0s1a.
>
> If you're using SCSI disks, replace "ad" with "da".
>
> Usual caveats apply: YMMV.  Use at own risk.  Make sure you have
> readable backups and a fixit disk in case things break.

I followed this procedure for my root filesystem.  However, my system
always boots with ad0s1b as root now.  The system still says that ad0s1b
is used for swap.  Here is my /etc/fstab:

# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
/dev/ad0s1a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
/dev/ad0s1b		none		swap	sw		0	0
/dev/ad0s1e		/var		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad0s1f		/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad0s2		/shuttle	ext2fs  rw,noauto	0	0
/dev/acd0c		/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0
proc			/proc		procfs	rw		0	0
linprocfs   	/compat/linux/proc   linprocfs  rw   		0  	0

Here is the output of mount:

/dev/ad0s1b on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
linprocfs on /usr/compat/linux/proc (linprocfs, local)

Here is the output of swapinfo:

Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/ad0s1b        527896        0   527896     0%    Interleaved

What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks.

--
Glenn Johnson