Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 10:02:22 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bmcgloth@mail.vt.edu (Brian D. McGlothlin)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DAT or removable device?

Brian D. McGlothlin stands accused of saying:

> I have read just about everything I can get my hands on about backup devices
> for FreeBSD and still can't make a decision.  I currently am not running the
> OS, but am about to purchase hardware to backup Win95 and in the future
> FreeBSD (I am a CS student at Virginia Tech), so here is your chance to
> steer someone in the right direction before they spend bucks.

Smart move 8)

> From what I
> read I'm assuming Adaptec's 2940 PCI SCSI Master is a good choice.  Now, I

Unnecessary for your application.  Get an NCR-810-based card and save your
readies.  You should be able to walk away with one for about US$60 or so.

> have heard that 1.3/2 GB DAT drives can be bought "cheap" and I've even seen
> the price quotes for www.corpsys.com (which I could not access) but the ones
> I've seen advertised
> (Seagate/Conner/Archive/whoeverownsitnowWordperfectwannabe) are 5-600$, not
> cheap and their reliability seems to be questionable.  So I've been

DDS-2 units are _the_ economy backup devices.  Do _not_ be fooled into buying
anything else.  You should try people like ISN (www.isn.com), NecX
(www.necx.com) and of course Pricewatch (www.pricewatch.com).  A careful
investment here (eg. Sony, HP, WangDAT) will give you a unit you will be
able to count on for years to come.

> considering a removable device such as Syquest's EZFlyer 230 and EZ135, and
> also, heaven forbid, Iomega's Zip drive...even the Jazz Drive looks
> promising. So here are my questions (sorry for the rambling):
>
> Would Syquest's EZFlyer 230/EZ135 be a good choice for backing up FreeBSD
> volumes or will I get less headache from a 4mm DAT?

Cartridge disks are not economical backup units.

> Where might I purchase a 4mm DAT that is comparable in price to the EZFlyer
> 230 ($300)?

... take the EFZ and add enough (~20) disks to compare with a 4G DDS-2 tape,
and then re-cost the exercise.  Then imagine shuffling those disks through
every time you want to make a backup.

> The AH-2940 is going to run me about $260 and I'd like to spend as close to
> $300 as I could on a backup device.  I've worked with a 4mm Archive DAT
> doing backups of Novell servers and I would love to have one if the price
> was right.  Any advice will be appreciated more than words can describe.

Well, if you save yourself about $200 on the 2940, you'll have about $500
to spend on a DAT.  Go for it!

> Brian D. McGlothlin
>
> P.S. As of right now I'm not even sure the EZFlyer is available in a SCSI
> version...but the 135 would do the same.

It is, but don't.