Date:      Sat, 17 May 2008 01:53:04 +0100
From:      Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net>
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max sysctl.

* Evren Yurtesen (yurtesen@ispro.net) wrote:

> How do I see what process is sharing memory and how much memory?

Guessing is normally sufficient; typically it's processes with the same
name and similar size/res.  On 7-STABLE you can use procstat -v to look
at the VM mappings for a process, but typically that'll be overkill.

> There are a bunch of apache 2.2 processes working normally about 20-30
> processes. This box doesnt do much more than that...
>
> I just checked the machine and here is what it looks like:
>  2:32PM  up 18 days,  5:40, 3 users, load averages: 0.41, 0.36, 0.27
>
> web:/root#ps ax |grep http
> 21429  ??  Ss     0:18.08 /usr/local/sbin/httpd
> 86473  ??  S      0:00.09 /usr/local/sbin/httpd
> 86659  ??  S      0:00.09 /usr/local/sbin/httpd
>
> Although I see now that for 2 days the PV entries error did not appear. I
> wonder if it is spooling up somehow...

They do look a bit small to be triggering it; assuming they're sharing
most of that, that's still only about 400k pv entries; 5MB or so (12
bytes per entry).  The systems I've seen pv entries run out on run to a
couple of orders of magnitude more than that.

> There is a cron job restarting apache everyday at midnight so it cant
> be apache leaking perhaps.

Load spikes maybe?  Child count running into the stratosphere?  Big PHP
opcode cache?

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/