Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:23:38 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>, "SPEAKEASY <bvagnoni>" <bvagnoni@speakeasy.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How Is The FeeBSD OS Like and Different Than Say Redhat or Suse LINUX

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 01:49:13PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:

> Andrew Hesford wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 03:45:33PM -0400, SPEAKEASY <bvagnoni> wrote:
> > > Dear Everyone;
> > >
> > > What about compatiability with the Linux world will I be able to run stuff
> > > compiled for Linux on freebsd without to much trouble?
> > >
> > > What about hardware compatibility just from reading the package it seems
> > > that freebsd seems to support more hardware, is this true?
> > >

> > > Sincerely
> > >
> > > Brian
> >
> > I've never had trouble with Linux programs under FreeBSD. You might not
> > get the newest games running perfectly, but hey, this isn't an operating
> > system for playing sophisticated games. In fact, that's what windows is
> > good for: games. Linux is only half-assed for games.
>
> I have a program that I am interested in called Wordtrans. It translates
> words between language pairs. The maintainers produce rpm's and deb's. When
> it goes to install, it can't find some library's. I can use locate and they
> are there. I have the source and it will build but with a lot of manual
> work. It is setup to build Qt/KDE modules. There are problems building the
> KDE-2 modules but I am currently using the Qt-2 module.
>
> How did you deal with the dependancies when you tried to use Linux programs?
> Cleaning up the makefiles will take time that using the rpm's would avoid.
> That is only true if I can install them.
>
> The default languages are spanish<>english and german<>english but they
> really aren't limited to these two pairs. You can turn on "watch clipboard"
> and it will translate what you select with the mouse.
>
> Kent

Truth be told, I've only installed linux programs from the ports tree;
all dependencies are already satisfied.

You can get rpm running, I believe I have it installed (it was required
for linux realplayer). Then, provided you have all the mandatory
packages, you should be able to install them without trouble.

The only thing you want to check is that linux packages are installed in
/usr/compat/linux/usr rather than /usr... you wouldn't want linux stuff
overwriting native FreeBSD stuff.

I don't know about funning dpkg... I don't necessarily see any problem
with it, though.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx