Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 2014 11:44:24 -0500
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dual-boot with common ZFS

It looks like I'm going to have to install Linux on my laptop for a while be=
cause of lack of driver support (haswell graphics).  However, I thought of a=
n idea and wanted to see if anyone has done something similar.

I have a pure-ZFS setup, with a GPT.  I was wondering if it might be possibl=
e to use the same ZFS volume to hold both a Linux and a FreeBSD installation=
.  At least on the surface, it seems like you ought to be able to create sep=
arate file systems for each OS.  The real trick, I think, would be in findin=
g the right boot/loader.conf arguments to point the kernels at the correct r=
oot, and the the right flags for ZFS mount to mount the other file systems c=
orrectly.

I can think of several things you could do with this scheme, among them bein=
g Linux-to-FreeBSD driver porting.  There's probably things you could do wit=
h virtualization layers as well.

Has anyone attempted such a setup, and if so, what were your experiences?=