Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:57:17 -0500
From:      "Webster, Andrew" <awebster@connectalk.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: freebsd-update fetching files failed

=20
> On 1/19/09 4:00 PM, "Tore Lund" <tl32@next.online.no> wrote:
>=20
> > Tom Worster wrote:
> >> a funny thing happened on wat to 7.1 today (from 7.0-p6):
> >>
> >> # freebsd-update upgrade -r 7.1-RELEASE
> >
> > Have you tried "freebsd-update -r 7.0-RELEASE upgrade"?
> >
> > I am not sure it makes a difference, but at any rate, as far as I know,
> > this is the right syntax.
>=20
> i was following these instructions:
>=20
>     http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.1R/announce.html
>=20
> but your suggestion is in line with the handbook:
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrad=
ing
> -freebsdupdate.html#FREEBSDUPDATE-UPGRADE
>=20
> in any case, repeating the command got me there in the end. or so it seem=
s.
>=20

I had the exact same problem upgrading 7.0-RELEASE to 7.1-RELEASE.  It took=
 5 tries to get all the files to download and apply.  Definitely something =
squirrelly there.  Updating to patch levels however works flawlessly.

One question
After the upgrade, the /var/db/freebsd-update was filled with about 500MB o=
f .gz files.  I was wondering if these can be safely deleted?

--
Andrew