Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:59:17 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Mark Castillo <markc@Relationships.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS and Solaris Master server

Mark Castillo wrote:

> does anyone know what the steps needed to setup freebsd as an NIS client?
> We've got Solaris running a master server, and would like to setup freebsd
> as client.

It's very easy. You have to edit /etc/rc.conf (FreeBSD 2.2.2, 2.2.5),
and set the variable "nisdomainname" at the beginning of the
network subsection. Then go down to the NIS options and set the
variable "nis_client_enable" to "YES", and leave the others unchanged.

Then you have to edit the passwd database (using "vipw") and
append the following record:

Also, edit /etc/host.conf and uncomment the line "nis": this enables
hosts queries to NIS.

-- JM
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-4-4647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-4-4858139