Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:21:12 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BTX error on boot.

Mike Smith wrote:

> > > However, for that to be the case, BTX's IDT would have to be fubar'd.
> > > Looking at the stack, it looks like it was at 0xf000:91e8 in the previous
> > > frame, which would be in the BIOS and thus in VM86 mode.  Robert, do you
> > > have any ideas?
> >
> > I haven't really had a chance to look at this, but maybe we're looking
> > at an interrupt #19 (SIMD exception), since this is a PIII.  Anyway, I
> > haven't seen BTX do this before, and the bottom line is probably just
> > that it isn't going to work unless the hardware configuration changes.
>
> ie. you feel that the system BIOS is simply incompatible with BTX, or
> that there's no way that BTX could ever deal with this situation?

I just meant this has the look of a problem that gets solved by
eg. changing a BIOS setting or replacing or swapping-out hardware.
The results at a software level are unexpected; and, given this is
apparently a brand new system, I'd like to know if it handles other
stuff OK: boots FreeBSD 2.2, for instance.

--
Robert Nordier

rnordier@nordier.com
rnordier@FreeBSD.org