Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 2015 15:48:25 +1000
From:      Nathan Aherne <nathan@vuid.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vimage and jail networking

Thank you for helping me to understand vimage better Julian! I have read =
all three links you posted a number of times.

I use iocage for jail management and it uses epair. =46rom your comments =
it seems you recommend netgraph?

This is the link to the iocage image instructions - =
https://iocage.readthedocs.org/en/latest/networking.html#configuring-a-vne=
t-jail =
<https://iocage.readthedocs.org/en/latest/networking.html#configuring-a-vn=
et-jail>. It seems that iocage does a number of things automatically or =
at least I am still confused on how to use iocage and vimage to have =
multiple jails share a single public (external) IP. I will continue to =
read the links you sent me in the hopes that the ahah moment comes to =
me.

Regards,

Nathan

> On 1 Dec 2015, at 1:45 pm, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> On 1/12/2015 8:32 AM, Nathan Aherne wrote:
>> Hi Everyone!
>>=20
>> I am having trouble getting my head around vimage and jail =
networking. I would like for my jails to have private IPs (10.0.0.0/24) =
and only use a single public IP.
>>=20
>> I am having a hard time finding tutorials or information on how to =
structure my network. My first thoughts were to clone the loopback =
interface (have the jails on it) but then I get lost with how to =
configure the bridging. I found this tutorial on the subject - =
http://wiki.polymorf.fr/index.php/Howto:FreeBSD_jail_vnet =
<http://wiki.polymorf.fr/index.php/Howto:FreeBSD_jail_vnet>; but I am =
unsure how the bridging works as the bridge interface does not seem to =
be bridged to anything.
>>=20
>> I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the correct =
direction.
>=20
> It seems to me you are thinking of it in the wrong way.
> think of the vimage jails as completely separate machines.
> they are connected by virtual point-to-point networks (if you use =
epair) or by a virtual ethernet (if you use netgraph).
>=20
> how would you do it if you had  one nat router and a bunch of real =
machines on the 10 network behind it?
http://devinteske.com/wp/vimage-jails-on-freebsd-8/
> also please first look on your own machine in =
/usr/share/examples/netgraph and especially look at the