Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2008 14:40:05 -0200
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATH rate and rssi considerations

I understand the difference between FBSD v.6 and v.7 regarding the RSSI val=
ue=20
displayed by `ifconfig ath list stat` on a machine running ath as hostap an=
d=20
the reasons for this change but I think it is not so a very good idea at th=
e=20
end, I explain why.

BTW `ifconfig ath0 list ap` on the client station does it well, showing the=
=20
signal strength and the noise level.

By only showing the RSSI value I have no chance to guess what is wrong with=
 a=20
station with a low rssi. Perhaps the client antenna is bad aligned or if=20
interference or something else is drawing the rssi down. If I had the signa=
l=20
strength and it is good I could say it is not antenna alignment but somethi=
ng=20
else by looking at the noise level. So now the sys-adm has a hard time=20
figuring out what is going on.

At the end it is not only the cosmetic issue, in fact the signal strength o=
f=20
the ATH cards felt down, by 5-10 points or when looking at percentage, by=20
almost 50%. This is measured on the client with any 11abg card and as well =
on=20
freeBSD with the same ath card as on the AP.

*** I like to suggest that this is reconsidered and displayed as in FBSD v.=
6x=20
or displaying S:N which than would be much more useful on an AP and making=
=20
sense ***

At the same time the rssi change came up the RATE displayed when running OF=
DM=20
as 11g or 11a went amok, any station which had before a at least 12,24 or=20
higher RSSI felt down to 5.5 or often lower, most of them to 1 or 2M. Can y=
ou=20
tell why ? In order to answer possible daughts, I change the AP which runs=
=20
7-STABLE, lets say a 6.3 or a early 7-Stable (~07/2007) with same configs a=
nd=20
wthout touching the antenas the RSSI comes back to normal and the noise lee=
vl=20
is less and at the end the signal strength measured on the client station=20
(whatever 11a/b/g gear) almost doubles.

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o