Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:32:17 -0500
From:      "J.R. Oldroyd" <fbsd@opal.com>
To:        Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg-7.3_1 runs only once, i810 error

--Sig_/QtFkTIWTJDF7RTL8EMHkgrp

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 13:39:24 +0000, Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com> wr=
ote:

> On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 16:03 -0500, J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> >=20

> > >=20
> > > I've got this problem too. Try with the Intel driver
> > > (ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel). It works for me.
> > >=20
> > > Regards.
> > >=20
> >=20
> > Merci!  That works.  Two questions:
> >=20
> > 1. Is ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel a permanent replacement for
> >    ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-i810 or should I consider this a
> >    temporary work-around until I figure out what's wrong with the
> >    i810 driver?  If I stick with the intel driver, am I still getting
> >    all the benefits (e.g., hardware acceleration and things like that)
> >    that I had with the i810 driver?
> >=20
> > 2. I notice with the intel driver that there are random garbage bits
> >    in xterm windows.  Is this a known issue?  Any fix?
> >=20
> > 	-jr
>=20
> I had the same problem upgrading from 7.2 to 7.3 . Switching to the
> intel driver also 'fixed' the problem, but introduced a new one: I
> cannot make the intel driver drive two independent heads (either with or
> without Xinerama). I will submit a bug report (probably to xorg though)
> when I have time - for now single head is fine.=20
>=20
> FWIW the 'i810' driver is the 'intel' driver at version 1.6.5. The
> 'intel' driver is the latest 'intel' driver at version 2.1.x . The
> rename of the driver occurred when it moved to version 2.0.0 iirc. The
> 'intel' driver also knows about correctly setting video modes that
> aren't present in the VBIOS, so hacks like 915resolution are no longer
> required when using the 'intel' driver.
>=20
> Tom

Thanks for the explanation about the relationship between the i810
driver and the intel driver.  Given what you say, I am surprised that
the upgrade procedure didn't automatically install the intel driver
for me, since it is more up-to-date than the i810 one.  Or at least
that there would be a note in UPDATING that I might want to consider
making the change myself.  Perhaps someone could add such a note?

I also had problems with two X servers.  Mine both started OK, but
all attempts to log in on the vt10 one were failing.  How are you
starting yours?  I was using xdm and I found that the script
/usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup contained the command:
    /usr/local/bin/sessreg  -a -w "/var/log/wtmp" -u "/var/run/utmp"       =
 -x "XDMCONFIGDIR/Xservers" -l $DISPLAY -h "" $USER
The "XDMCONFIGDIR" should have been substituted with the actual
path the the dir - once I fixed that, everything was fine again.
I suspect this is a problem with the port and I'll submit a pr once
I've had a chance to look into it.

	-jr