Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:36:06 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cobalt blames linux for their security problems!

At 09:18 PM 2/27/99 +1030, you wrote:
>On Saturday, 27 February 1999 at  2:16:02 -0500, mike@seidata.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Julian Elischer wrote:
>>
>>> There's a good idea.. use a free OS and then blame it for your problems..
>>
>> Tell me about it...  here's my response.
>>
>> <quote>
>> [snip]
>> </quote>
>>
>> I had actually looked into some of Cobalt's products...  must say I've
>> lost quite a bit of respect for them as a result of their reponse to
>> this issue.  Then again, what's to consider anyway...  They don't run
>> FreeBSD.  ;)
>
>They could just as well have run FreeBSD.  The issue here is that they
>(or somebody else) are blaming the OS for their own mistakes.

Well the RAQ is a RISC processor that FreeBSD doesnt support,  so I dont
think that that was an option. Blaming an OS is an OK thing I think...you cant
as a vendor be expected to fix everything thats wrong....PCI shared memory on
secondary buses doesnt seem to work in FreeBSD2.2 (havent tried 3.1 yet)...
you have to blame the OS as its not practical to fix it yourself.

One problem with cobalt is that they arent running the latest kernels which
fix
the problem....it seems that THAT is their fault.

Dennis

Emerging Technologies, Inc.

http://www.etinc.com
ISA and PCI T1/V35/HSSI Cards for FreeBSD and LINUX
HSSI/T3 UNIX-based Routers
Bandwidth Manager

http://www.etinc.com/bwmgr.htm