Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:24:51 -0500
From:      Sven Willenberger <sven@dmv.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems upgrading from 4.1.1 to 4_9_RELENG

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 13:12, Ben Schumacher wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from 4.1.1 via sources to the 4_9_RELENG codebase,
> and I'm getting some compile errors. Any help in figuring out how to
> deal with these would be greatly appreciated.

I managed to upgrade a 4.1 box to 4.9-stable by doing it in steps:

First cvsup'ed RELENG_4_3, make buildworld, make buildkernel,
installkernel, reboot, installworld .....

then I cvsup'ed to RELENG_4_6 and did the same
then I cvsup'ed to RELENG_4_9 and successfully completed the upgrade. A
little bit of a long process and if you can get by doing a fresh install
rather than trying to upgrade it would probably be quicker ... but
upgrading did work in steps for me.