Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 13:36:00 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Ilya Martynov <m_ilya@agava.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there any reason for FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS?

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 02:29:58PM +0300, Ilya Martynov wrote:
> PP> [..skip..]
> PP>
> PP> > Except one port news/dnews all others actually doesn't need
> PP> > FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS (according man page of fetch). And I'm not sure if it is
> PP> > needed even for news/dnews. Maybe just remove FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS from ports
> PP> > Makefiles?
> PP>
> PP> I've asked this question before, the answer was that FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS
> PP> is still needed for 3.x's fetch(1).  The fact is, all ports which
> PP> specify FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS should make this conditional on FreeBSD's
> PP> version.
> PP>
> PP> In your specific case, just put FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS=''  on make's cmdline;
> PP> the Makefile overrides /etc/make.conf settings, so you can't just stick
> PP> it there :(
>
> Moreover some Makefiles has FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS+= instead FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS=
> so it is not possible to overide this settings at all :(
>
> After some thinking I've came up with such question: is it correct to use
> FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS at all? For example I have two URLs in
> MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE in my make.conf. fetch(1) will first try to download
> files from there. Even if I have old version of fetch(1) it will not need
> (probably) -t or -b switches with these URLs. Switches specified in
> FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS should be actually set individually for each URL in port
> Makefile (if they are needed).

Hmm this is an interesting idea.. something along the lines of..

FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS=fetchprogram,hostname,args fetchprogram,hostname,args ...

e.g.

FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS=fetch,http://server.needing.b/path/,-b \
		  fetch,server.needing.t,-t

Then the do-fetch target should, for each URL, scan FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS,
and use the arguments if and only if it finds a match on *both* the fetch
program and the hostname (not URL) from which it's currently trying
to fetch.

Something to think about..

G'luck,
Peter

--
I had to translate this sentence into English because I could not read the original Sanskrit.