Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:15:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        Frank Laszlo <laszlof@vonostingroup.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install a Perl module that's not currently a port?

Frank Laszlo wrote:
> >I'll likely create my own port then, as I don't want to get off the
> >portupgrade track. I was hoping that there was a CPAN wrapper that would
> >"portify" modules brought in via CPAN automatically.
> Not that I can think of. google might tell you something different though..

I happened to install a CPAN module just the other day (on 4-stable); I did
an ftrace as I installed it to watch the files being installed and much to
my surprise it created some files in /var/db/pkg!  I looked and there it
was:

>l /var/db/pkg/bsdpan-Net-TcpDumpLog-0.11/
total 26
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel     61 Oct 13 12:00 +COMMENT
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel    679 Oct 13 12:00 +CONTENTS
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel     96 Oct 13 12:00 +DESC

So, yes, it just works.  Coolness!
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/