Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:07:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        owensc@enc.edu
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no RELENG_3 in my CVSup'd repository?

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.990128212758.24908G-100000@itsdsv2.enc.edu>,
Charles Owens  <owensc@enc.edu> wrote:

> So, yesterday I did this, usual sort of thing (with CVSROOT pointing at my
> local repository, of course):
>
> 	cvs co -rRELENG_3 src
>
> ... it starts chewing... I notice that it's not actually extracing any
> sources into my current directory.  Not wanting to wait for ever, I abort
> and do the same but for the module "modules".  It quickly spits back:
>
> 	cvs [checkout aborted]: no such tag RELENG_3

Be more patient the next time. :-) Run your original command "cvs co
-rRELENG_3 src".  (But read the rest of this message first.)  Don't
kill it.  Go make yourself a pot of coffee, or engage in whatever
personal vice suits you the best.  When you come back, you'll discover
that it worked.

When cvs is given a symbolic tag to checkout, it first looks in
$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/val-tags to see if the tag is valid.  The first time
you try to do this, the tag won't yet be present in val-tags.  So
cvs will start searching the entire repository looking for a file
containing the tag.  This can take time.  Yes, it really searches the
whole repository until it finds the tag, even if you specifically told
it only to check out "src".  Since this tag doesn't exist anywhere
outside the src tree, cvs may have to look at a lot of files before it
finds one containing the tag.

It is possible that by aborting the checkout, you caused cvs to record
that the tag is definitely invalid.  (That would be a bug.)  Take
a look at your val-tags file and make sure it doesn't have a line
"RELENG_3 n".  If it does, either delete the line or change the "n" to
a "y".  Then it should all work.

John
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken