Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 05:51:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Easy ways to publicize FreeBSD (was: Re: Where is the FreeBSD Mozilla CVS server?)

In localhost.freebsd.hackers you write:

>To put it another way, we should be demanding a seat at the tablek
>rather than attempting to piss on the table because someone didn't
>give us a seat. :-)

>					Jordan

This is a great quote!

Here are some specific things I think "average folks" can do to
improve FreeBSD's publicity:

We can advertise what you can do with FreeBSD by reaching out to
application developers.  This can be done in a couple of ways:

- If you use an application under FreeBSD, drop the developer a note
  and let him or her know!  It's great to be appreciated and increases
  visibility.  If possible, let him/her know a bit about your setup.

- If you make a port for an application, offer to contribute the
  changes back to the original developer.  In addition, let the
  developer know where to find the port (a specific URL), and suggest
  that if he/she maintains a page with binary distributions that a
  link to the port be made.  Explain that for many FreeBSD users a
  port is even more convenient than a package.

- If you have built a binary package of an application (or if you know
  the location of a binary package, like one that's part of a release)
  then let the original developer know about the location of the
  package.  Do this even if you have a port location; more options are
  better.

- Ask them to post any future annoucements concerning their
  application to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.announce and freebsd-announce.

This leads into my second suggestion:

Actively ask those who provide FreeBSD products, services, and
activities to post announcements to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.announce or
freebsd-announce .

I have been reading comp.os.linux.announce for the past few months (to
get a better handle on what's out there), and frankly, the number of
announcements there is staggering compared to the FreeBSD equivalents.

Many of these announcements are relevant to FreeBSD as well as Linux.
A number even mention FreeBSD explicitly, but were not posted to the
FreeBSD equivalents.

I am planning to send email to all of the ones that are specifically
FreeBSD relevant asking if I can forward on their announcement to the
FreeBSD lists and newsgroup, but this is something that others could
do just as well as me.  It would be nice if these requests came from
someone with a freebsd.org address and if they were coordinated so
that people don't get 10 or 20 requests.

I figure that in most cases people won't mind, and hopefully next time
they'll cross-post their announcement to the FreeBSD lists and
newsgroup, as well.

A third suggestion:

Have a mailing list for people who are interested in supporting
FreeBSD, but either don't know where to begin or don't feel qualified.
I think that a mailing list will help by making it clear that FreeBSD
is interested in contribution from everyone, not just the next great
kernel hacker, and by giving those with a desire to help something to
do (even if it's just subscribing to a mailing list).  With
volunteers, anything that you do to get them in the door and active
should increase participation, particularly something that's
low-commitment.

This is particularly true if the list is "friendly"--encourage folks
joining it to introduce themselves and talk a little bit about their
skills.
--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/