Date:      Fri, 25 May 2007 10:52:13 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   can I change probe order of mpt controllers?

I have a shiny new Sun X4100 here and it works pretty well (except
that there is a bug in the ILOM bios that refuses to let the serial
port console run at 115200!!!)

I attached an external RAID array using an LSI fibre channel card,
and now the boot disk is not found after the kernel boots.  Ie, it
can't find the root volume.  This is because the fibre channel card
is probed as mpt0 and the on-board disks are connected to mpt2.
(Where's mpt1?  no idea.)  Once the RAID volume was initialized, the
ordering of the disk device names changed.

Is there some way to force the boot drive controller to be probed
first and be mpt0?  Or is there some way to force the boot drive to
be a fixed device name?

I'm planning to play with the RAID configuraitons and change
partitions and add logical drives, etc., so this will be painful to
reconfigure the OS every time I reconfigure the RAID.  Any advice
will be appreciated.  Thanks!

I'm running 6.2/amd64 from a fresh CD install.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD  +1-301-869-4449 x806