Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:33:16 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Tom Connolly <tomc@cqg.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD_Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CVSup on current branch questions.

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 10:02:05AM -0600, Tom Connolly wrote:
> I just installed FreeBSD 5.2.1 and I'm a little confused about the branch=
es.
> >From my research I have deduced that this is a current branch and that t=
here
> is no stable branch.  Is this correct?  I would like to CVSup the most
> stable version of 5.2.1 source as well as the ports.  Can someone explain=
> me how exactly to do this?  I've tried to CVSup the ports using the sample
> supfile provided but none of my packages seem to build.

FreeBSD 5.2.1 is the release version from the RELENG_5_2 branch.  If
you cvsup to the latest on that branch you'll get 5.2.1 release plus
any security patches that have been issued in the mean time.

Note however that the process leading to 5.3-RELEASE is underway,
aiming to culminate in early October with 5.3-RELEASE (the RELENG_5_3
branch) and around the same time 5.3-STABLE (ie. declaring the
RELENG_5 branch STABLE).  Right now the RELENG_5 branch will get you
5.3-BETA2, one of a series of weekly beta test versions intended to be
released up until 5.3-RELEASE.

Note that 5.3-RELEASE will be a full production release, unlike
5.2.1-RELEASE which is the last of the technology preview releases.
You'ld be well advised to upgrade to RELENG_5_3 once it's available
since support on the RELENG_5_2 branch will be dropped fairly shortly
afterwards.

The current branch is now actually 6-CURRENT as of a few weeks ago.
You almost definitely don't want that.

There is also the RELENG_4 or 4.10-STABLE branch, which is by no means
obsolete just yet.  There are plans for at least one and possibly two
more 4.x releases, and support on some of the 4.x branches will
continue for a year or so after then.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20