Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:25:52 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Pierrick Brossin <pbrossin@swissgeeks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Easy Server

Pierrick Brossin wrote:
> I've done a deep search on google and can't find any distribution like
> SME but
> FreeBSD based.
> Actually, for those who do not know SME, it's a distribution based on
> RedHat and
> basically it can install a complete server in 10-15 minutes.

FreeBSD is basically a one distribution operating system. Although there
are plenty of people you can buy a distribution off (www.bsdmall.com,
www.freebsd-services.com, ...) all the distributions tend to be pretty
similar and I'm certainly not aware of anyone doing specifically a
server distribution.

However, I'm not sure what the advantages of such a distribution would
be? Are you surely not better to do a standard installation of FreeBSD
and then add the services you need (Apache, MySQL, Samba, Netatalk,...)
from the ports collection as you need them? That way you can totally
customise your server and you will get a better understanding of how
everything works in the process....

I would advice doing a test installation of FreeBSD (see
www.freebsd.org/handbook) and having a go at installing the packages you
need.

What do you think?

Andrew.