Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:11:44 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hitachi vs Seagate: Opinions wanted

I've always used Seagate or Quantum drives in my servers ... with the
recent thought about switching to Dual-Athlon servers, from Intel, and the
caveats about both heat and power that I've had, its been recommended
switching to Hitachi drives from the usual Seagate ... also, apparently
the failure rates are higher on the Seagate's are much higher then the
Hitachi ...

Since I can't say I've ever had a complaint (other then the U320 firmware
fiasco that Seagate did fix), I'm wondering if there is that much of a
difference with the Hitachi's to warrant the extra ~$50/drive ... ?

The server we are putting together will be a 2U chassis, with 6 U320
drives in it ... either hitachi or seagate ...

Thoughts?  Opinions?

----