Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 18:57:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, nate@sri.MT.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Networking / Routing question

Nate Williams wrote:

> Michael Smith writes:
> > Nate Williams stands accused of saying:

> > I was going to suggest this, until it occurred to me that it would be
> > impossible for the firewall to connect out through the router.  (With a
> > default route set to the router, packets originating on the firewall
> > will have an unroutable source address, and responses will never come
> > back.)
>
> The 'firewall' is our main email gateway box, and will end up doing all
> of the 'ftp/www/dns/etc' service to the world.

	do you really want to run those services on a firewall?
	perhaps on a host protected by the firewall or on a sacrifical
	host outside the firewall (hardware jumpered read-only scsi
	disks are *wonderful* ;)

	how about replacing the router with a FreeBSD box that
	supports those services.  an make the firewall a real
	firewall rather than a services box?  use two harddisks
	(minimum) in the services/router box.  install the operating
	sytem and your binaries on one, hardware jumpered read-only.
	on the seconds place /tmp, /incoming and what have you.
	then you can run a mail replacement program like smapd from
	the fwtk on the services/router box adn send all mail to
	a mail hub located insdie the real firewall.

	making changes will mean downing the box, but that's okay.
	you want ot reach a stable set of binaries anyway and then
	leave the configuration alone, unless a vunerablility is
	discovered.

	another possilibilty is using a NAT capability, and allocating
	yourself an A class internal address ;)
	http://cheops.anu.edu.au/~avalon/  it is  IP Filter by
	Darren Reed.  though i have not used it myself, darren's
	mail to firewalls and other lists has always been useful.
	that way you can place one or more servers outside using
	your allocated adresses and leave the rest of the hosts
	behind the firewall allowing them to access the net via
	NAT.  NAT is dicsussed in rfc1631.  i aint saying that NAT
	is elegant, just saying that i may well be a solution to
	your particular situation.

	ip-filt-3.0.4  does a fairly nice job of ip filtering. it
	can run as an lkm.  however you  run it, you must patch
	the kernel sources in order to use it, espcescilly if you
	want NAT.  darren reed calims it will work with FreeBSD
	2.0 and 2.1.0 (sic).  i image that you have to forget about
	current.  but you wouldnt be running current on that kind
	of box anyway right?  right!.

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG