Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:10:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg.me.uk>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP Laserjet 1200 on USB

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Dag-Erling [iso-8859-1] Smørgrav wrote:

> 20 MB in five minutes is very close to the maximum transfer rate
> across a paralell port (~80 kBps).

You can do much better than that in ECP mode - I use it to transfer
2Mbit/sec video to a piece of custom hardware hung of the parallel port
(standard drivers at the FreeBSD end), so I'm getting over 250KByte/sec.

However, the GENERIC kernel isn't configured for this - you need to add
the DRQ setting:

device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7 drq 3

and make sure that the BIOS is configured to match.  After that,
lptcontrol -e engages DMA-driven printing, with much greater speed and
lower CPU utilisation.