Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:58:02 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        "Alexander N. Kabaev" <ak03@gte.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal on shared libs version values.

In message <xzpu25yv8fc.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
: "Alexander N. Kabaev" <ak03@gte.com> writes:
: > I know this will sound silly, but if numbers in shared libraries file names
: > mean nothing to the loader, why can't we just go back to using
: > lib.so.<major>.<minor> naming convention for libc? Jumping between versions
: > (5xx -> 5) just does not seem right.
:
: Because the loader would ignore the minor number - plus, the semantics
: we want are not those that minor library version numbers used to have.

The loader doesn't ignore the minor number.  The symbolic link makes
the library default, so it would "use" it.  You are right that it
wouldn't have a.out shared library minor number semantics.  It is just
a tag.

Warner