Date:      28 Mar 1996 18:59:43 GMT
From:      graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de (Thomas Graichen)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Triton EIDE interface support

Eric J. Schwertfeger (ejs@bfd.com) wrote:
: So, between 2.1R, stable, and current, how much support for these
: features are in FreeBSD?

from /sys/i386/conf/LINT (2.1.0-RELEASE):

# ST-506, ESDI, and IDE hard disks: `wdc' and `wd'
#
# NB: ``Enhanced IDE'' is NOT supported at this time.
#
# The flags fields are used to enable the multi-sector I/O and
# the 32BIT I/O modes.  The flags may be used in either the controller
# definition or in the individual disk definitions.  The controller
# definition is supported for the boot configuration stuff.
#
# Each drive has a 16 bit flags value defined:
#       The low 8 bits are the maximum value for the multi-sector I/O,
#       where 0xff defaults to the maximum that the drive can handle.
#       The high bit of the 16 bit flags (0x8000) allows probing for
#       32 bit transfers.
#
# The flags field for the drives can be specified in the controller
# specification with the low 16 bits for drive 0, and the high 16 bits
# for drive 1.
# e.g.:
#controller     wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0x00ff8004 vector wdintr
#
# specifies that drive 0 will be allowed to probe for 32 bit transfers and
# a maximum multi-sector transfer of 4 sectors, and drive 1 will not be
# allowed to probe for 32 bit transfers, but will allow multi-sector
# transfers up to the maximum that the drive supports.

i think this is a least a part of what you are looking for (until now there's
no triton DMA support in FreeBSD)

  thomas graichen    graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de    graichen@FreeBSD.org

  perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when
      there is no longer anything to take away    antoine de saint-exupery