Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:51:19 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        Ben Gras <ben@euro.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network routing problems at boot...

On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 01:45:14PM +0200, Ben Gras wrote:
> All,
>
> -snip-
>  > >    Hm.  None of this explains why the boot hangs after:
>  > >
>  > > ed2: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>  > >      inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.0.255
>  > >      ether 00:20:78:14:25:03
>  > >
>  > >   If I'm missing some routing lines, why is this showing up only now?
>  > >   Prev'ly, both systems came up normally.  ``sage'' still does; not this
>  > >   box.
> -snip-
>  > Please confirm that booting hangs exactly after showing ifconfig line.
>  > If it does later for example on sendmail then it may be reverse lookup problem.
>
> Hmm, I've never tried it myself, but try running /etc/rc with !/bin/sh -x, and
> perhaps /etc/rc.network too (if necessary.. probably not, because it's sourced by
> rc).
>
> 	=Ben

	No-joy.  I run into the miscellaneous mount errors--since
	things are already mounted, of course.   In /etc/hosts I
	have one line that may confuse things:

	207.X.X.55  tao.tera.com

	that probably need not be there.  To the internet I am
	tao.tera.com;  otherwise I'm tao.thought.org.  This domain
	name is registered as a simple MX link.

	I'll reboot in awhile; the /etc/hosts entry is commented.
	Will see.

	gary