Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:05:02 -0500
From:      Pete McKenna <pmckenna@qwest.net>
To:        bruno schwander <bschwand@dvart.com>
Cc:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv and real-time mpeg capture (status)

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:37:40PM -0700, bruno schwander wrote:
> yes, I know about the YUV stuff, but it seems nobody ever got the driver
> to output YUV in any other res than 320x240. So said Randall (fxtv
> author) ...
>
> so I am playing with fxtv and ffmpeg, and while mpeg1video works great.
> mpeg4, msmpeg4, mjpeg seems to stream/encode fine too, but then I can not
> play the stream with anything !
>
> I tried mplayer for example, and all I get is this:
>
> MPlayer 0.50pre-1(C) 2000-2001 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS!)
>
> Reading /home/bruno/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open
> '/home/bruno/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
> Reading /usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf: 18 audio & 39 video codecs
> font: can't open file: /home/bruno/.mplayer/font/font.desc
> font: can't open file: /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
> Playing test.mps
> Detected MPEG-PS file format!
> MPEG: FATAL: EOF while searching for sequence header
>
> Exiting... (End of file)
>
> mplayer -vc help shows (among others)
>
> ffmjpeg    5  working   FFmpeg MJPEG decoder  [mjpeg]
> ffi263     5  working   FFmpeg I263 decoder  [h263i]
> ffh263     5  working   FFmpeg H263+ decoder  [h263]
> ffdivx     5  working   FFmpeg DivX ;-) (MS MPEG-4 v3)  [msmpeg4]
> ffodivx    5  working   FFmpeg OpenDivX  [mpeg4]
> ffmpeg12   5  working   FFmpeg-1  [mpegvideo]
>
> so, anybody can play mpeg4 streams generated by ffmpeg ?

Yes the files play ok in mplayer. I didn't stream them though.
This is obviously not the way to do it but I was just experimenting
with getting mpeg4 files made to see if they would play under mplayer.

I first made an mpeg1 file with the built in scripts from fxtv.
I then did this:

ffmpeg -ac 2 -f mpeg -i ffmpeg_test3.mps -vcodec msmpeg4 ffmpeg_test3.avi

The file plays just fine in mplayer.
This is a 320x240 30fps stereo clip. I have all the files raw mpeg1 and
mpeg4 if you have any questions on their settings.

Pete

--
Peter McKenna                                 Qwest Internet Solutions
pmckenna@qwest.net                                   Main 612-664-4000