Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:30:53 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: build tools as separate distribution

In message <20000830100126.D45710@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
: On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 12:30:39PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
: > What would the good people think of moving gcc, gas, ld etc., as well
: > as include files and static libraries out of the bin dist and into a
: > separate distribution, called e.g. prog or devel? There are a lot of
:
: You need to convince JKH (as release engineer).  I was going to do this
: for 4.2, but he said no.

I think we can do this for 5.0, however, since I think we can convince
him that it is a good idea.  However, I think that someone will need
to come up with patches to sysinstall.  Also, there's likely some UI
issues with minimal changing from "complete for a hosting system" to
"incomplete for a hosting system, but complete for a target system."

Warner