Date:      	12 May 1998 18:55:13 +0200
From:      Walter Hafner <hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de, Jochen.Solbrig@urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Subject:   Re: scientific plotting

Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de> writes:

> On Tue, 12 May 1998, Jochen Solbrig wrote:
>
> > i'm looking for a scientific plotting package which also
> > can do numerical calculations, like
> > data fitting or fft. it should be able to edit
> > data (multiplying data columns, etc.)
>
> I have not very much experience with `octave' but it may help you. Octave
> does numerical calculations and uses Gnuplot for plotting. Both are free
> packages within the distribution, of course.

The combo 'octave+gnuplot' is in fact not bad. I'm in the process of
writing a PhD thesis on adaptive color classification in images. I have
access to Mathematica and Maple. Both of them are totally worthless when
it comes to handling large amounts of numerical data (i.e. color
images). The tool of choice in this case (number crunching, analysis and
plotting) would definitely be MATLAB (not: _not_ Matlab; different
package). Unfortunately it costs huge amounts of money ...

The site
http://math.nist.gov/
and
http://www-ocean.tamu.edu/~baum/ocean_graphics.html
give very comprehensive overviews over mathematical software
packages.

I tried quite a couple of freeware/shareware packages and ended with
- octave 2.1.5
http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/
- gnuplot 3.6 Beta
http://science.nas.nasa.gov/~woo/gnuplot/beta/
(The gnuplot homepage is at
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/gnuplot_info.html)

Note: You have to use 3.6 beta in order to perform fitting. gnufit 1.2
supports fitting aswell but isn't as good as gnuplot 3.6 beta.

Another handy tool for data fitting is 'fudgit'
(sorry, no URL at hand).

Both 'octave' and 'gnuplot' won't do all the things you ask for. But
together they come quite close.

Correctly used, they are pretty mighty.

-Walter

--