Date:      Sat, 31 Oct 1998 10:44:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Dom Mitchell <dom@myrddin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Mike Nguyen <mikenguyen@sprintmail.com>, "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Brian Feldman <green@zone.syracuse.net>
Subject:   Re: Changing sh for compatibility sake

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Dom Mitchell wrote:

> Mike Nguyen <mikenguyen@sprintmail.com> writes:
> > First thing I do when I install a new FreeBSD box is install the BSDi ksh
> > binaries from the AT&T software reuse website as /bin/ksh. A real ksh93, no
> > less. I haven't had the guts to replace /bin/sh with it yet (though the man
> > page does have a toggle to display either as sh(1) or ksh(1)).
>
> I wouldn't replace /bin/sh with ksh93...  It is a *lot* bigger.  It's
> practically a whole new shell, compared to ksh88.

That was never even an option, since ksh93 isn't public code.  It was
all revolving around the pdksh code base (take a look at
ports/shells/pdksh).  Or maybe your comments meant that?

> -Dom

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).